The department of Astronomy at the University of Cape Town (UCT) invites applications for a PhD position in astronomy. This position is funded through a PhD scholarship of the Faculty of Science at UCT. Funding is aligned to the SKA standard for PhD scholarships in South Africa. The deadline for applications is 15 May 2017, and we envisage a starting date of 1 July 2017
The department of Astronomy has 10 academic staff, 7 postdoctoral fellows and over 30 PhD students, some joint with the South African Astronomical Observatory. Research in the department of Astronomy is largely focussed on observational multi-wavelength astronomy, with a number of distinct themes, namely:
1. Stellar and Galactic Astrophysics [Galactic structure & stellar evolution, Accretion physics in compact binaries],
2. Extragalactic Astronomy [Galaxy evolution, Cosmic magnetism, Large-scale structures of galaxies].
We invite applications in the following areas for one PhD position:
Stellar and Galactic Astrophysics:
- Characterising astrophysical transients in optical and radio with MeerLICHT and MeerKAT [principal supervisor: Prof Patrick Woudt]
- Evolved stars in Local Group galaxies and the distance scale [principal supervisors: Prof Patricia Whitelock and Prof Michael Feast]
- 3D simulations of stellar interactions and explosions [principal supervisor: Dr Shazrene Mohamed]
- Spectro-photometric study of galaxy evolution in group environments [principal supervisor: Prof Tom Jarrett]
- Bayesian analysis techniques applied to radio astronomy [principal supervisor: Dr Kurt van der Heyden]
If you are interested in applying for this PhD fellowship, we recommend you contact the principal supervisor of the project you are interested in to discuss the details of the proposed PhD project. Your letter of motivation and your full CV must be send to the Head of the department of Astronomy (Prof Patrick Woudt - pwoudt [at] ast.uct.ac.za) by 15 May 2017.
For more information, please contact the Head of the department of Astronomy, Prof Patrick Woudt, at pwoudt [at] ast.uct.ac.za